Support Within Reach is a private, non-profit, community service organization serving residents and those impacted by incidents of sexual violence in Aitkin, Beltrami, Cass, Clearwater, Hubbard, and Itasca Counties. Our work is made possible by our volunteer Board of Directors, staff, volunteer advocates, and contributors. All of our services are free, confidential, and available to all age groups regardless of gender or sexual orientation, to help them heal from the wounds of sexual violence.
Programs We Offer
Victim Support and Advocacy Program
SWR is dedicated to offering a variety of essential services to anyone who is dealing with sexual violence in their life. We offer:
- 24-hour crisis line
- Assistance with filing Harassment Restraining Orders (HRO) and Orders for Protection (OFP)
- Assistance with filing reports with law enforcement
- Specialized criminal justice advocacy
- Crisis intervention
- Ongoing basic counseling
- Medical accompaniment to sexual assault examinations at local emergency rooms
- Support groups
- Follow-up assistance
- Safe at Home- SAH is an address confidentiality program offered through the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. It is available to people who fear for their safety and have an actual residential address in Minnesota. Participants can be victims of stalking, domestic violence, sexual assault, or people who fear for their safety due to professional reasons or because of other safety concerns. People in Safe at Home are assigned a PO Box address that they can legally use as their actual address for all of their interactions with others.Please call SWR to speak with a Safe at Home Program Application Assistant. You can also visit the Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State for more information.
Systems Change and Advocacy Program
SWR recognizes that system reform is necessary for victims of sexual violence to begin their healing process. If systems are not victim-centered, we risk re-victimizing an already traumatized victim. To help coordinate a victim-centered response, SWR has created the following programs (click on the links below to learn more):
–Sexual Assault Multi-disciplinary Action Response Team (SMART): ICSAIC/SMART Team
–Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program (SANE)–Itasca County Only: SANE Program
Prevention Education and Awareness Program
This program works to educate the larger community about issues of sexual violence and risk-reduction strategies. SWR gives educational presentations to any age group, with special emphasis placed on at-risk populations such as developmentally delayed and youth in placement programs. In addition, we provide professional trainings to those who respond to victims of sexual violence such as law enforcement, probation officers, medical personnel, human services, and many more. SWR is also committed to raising public awareness around the issue of sexual violence. We do this though public service announcements, health fairs, newspaper articles, and our website.
Community Action – Volunteer Program
SWR would not be able to do the work we do without our volunteers! They help us staff the 24-hr crisis line and help meet in-office needs and special projects. Our new fundraising subcommittee consists of volunteers, staff, and board members working toward the common goal of agency fundraising. We also have 10 committed Board Members, who help to ensure overall agency functioning and work with staff to strategic plan for SWR’s future.
SWR’s funding is provided by: Minnesota Office of Justice Programs, Violence Against Women Act, Victims of Crime Act, United Way of 1000 Lakes, United Way of NE Minnesota, Blandin Foundation, Grand Rapids Area Community Foundation, Collaborative Grant efforts with Advocates for Family Peace, and generous donations from those who support our cause.